[winGRASS] Re: [GRASS-user] GRASS GIS 6.2.1 winGRASS/Cygwin binaries available: was: Re: Xganim errors in WinGRASS

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun Feb 11 12:52:10 EST 2007

pallentina at niwa.co.nz wrote:

> I have a running GRASS-6.1 cvs 8 (from Huidae's compilation) on cygwin. I
> installed your version, could not find a gdal-1.3.1 as you used, but the
> new 1.4. It compiled fine, is installed. GRASS-6.1 still starts, works
> fine (as far as I can see so far). But the GRASS-6.2.1 starts the start
> dialogs, but opening an existing location/mapset crashes it. Trying to
> generate a new location from the GUI fails, as it tries to place it under
> '//<path-to-database>. So I generated a new location under the correct
> path with the text based dialog. GRASS 6.2.1 starts now, but the gis.m
> does not work. The splash screen opens, and what looks like the base gis.m
> window, but it immediately crashes with 'child process exited abnormally'.

With 'child process exited abnormally' errors, it's necessary to know
which program it was trying to run.

> Any hints what is missing or where I can start to search for more clues?
> I'm a bit rusty with compiling, but with a few hints I should be able to
> get it going and test it.

Contrary to my earlier statements, GDAL is actually a DLL (I had
forgotten that Windows libraries typically consist of both a DLL and a
corresponding static library). Hopefully I can get Markus to put the
GDAL package on the GRASS web site at some point. I wouldn't invest
too much effort into tracking down problems using a different version
of GDAL.