[GRASS-windows] Colour code vector maps

Arran_Jay james.mccairns at openreach.co.uk
Wed Aug 13 05:20:44 EDT 2008

I’m trying to colour code a vector map within WinGRASS. I found a command
called d.vect.thematic that would do what I want but it seems to only work
through a monitor so I can’t make it work. Does anyone know of a way around
using monitors to display a map colour coded by an attribute column?
Preferably I’d like a way to use several colours (say purple to dark red to
red to orange to yellow) from a false colour display scale. The data is
numeric, ranged between 0 and 100. For example, I have geographic regions
within my map whose shapes are given by vector polygons and for each of
those I know an attribute (e.g. average rainfall within that region) and I
would like to produce a false colour map where the regions are colour coded
by the amount of rainfall (e.g. blue for wet areas, green for typical rain
levels, and yellow in low rainfall parts of the country). I don't mind if
the final map is a raster or a vector.