[GRASS-windows] d.rast, d.vect errors

Carolyn Chan carolyn.chan at mail.mcgill.ca
Fri Aug 15 01:09:15 EDT 2008

Hi,

A warning: I know very little about any of this.

I downloaded WinGRASS by just running the .exe installer file, and I chose to include all sample data sets.  I was given the 3rd ed. GRASS test to work through.  I find I am having problems with very basic things that no one else on the internet seems to find problematic.

So first main issue: d.rast and d.vect both give

PNG: GRASS_TRUECOLOR status: TRUE
PNG: collecting to file: C:/Documents and Settings/.../user1/.tmp/8576.0.ppm,
     GRASS_WIDTH=538, GRASS_HEIGHT=484

I read that GRASS_WIDTH and GRASS_HEIGHT are environment variables, and can be set in the command prompt using set VARIABLE=VALUE.  Unsure of what directory I should be in, I went for C:\GRASS set GRASS_WIDTH=1500 [# of columns in the region I wanted... that was a guess.], same for GRASS_HEIGHT=1350.

Trying the d.rast elevation again gave me no noticable difference except for a lime green bar across the top of the error message.  Restarting GRASS, I noticed that the message had changed; now it had GRASS_WIDTH=525, GRASS_HEIGHT=484.

Help?