[GRASS-windows] Compiling grass7 on msys/mingw?

Marco Pasetti pasetti.marco at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 04:36:36 EST 2008

Hi Colin,

>I compiled my own grass 6.3 long ago using the steps provided by Marco
> Pasetti using the following:
> ./configure  --prefix=/usr/local --with-includes=/usr/local/include
> --with-libs=/usr/local/lib --disable-x11 --without-jpeg --without-x
> --with-cxx --enable-shared --enable-largefile --with-opengl=windows
> --with-fftw --with-freetype --with-proj-share=/usr/local/share/proj
> --with-gdal=/usr/local/bin/gdal-config --with-tcltk
> --with-tcltk-includes=/usr/local/tcl-tk/include
> --with-tcltk-libs=/usr/local/tcl-tk/bin --with-sqlite
> --with-sqlite-includes=/usr/local/sqlite/include
> --with-sqlite-libs=/usr/local/sqlite/lib --with-postgres
> --with-postgres-includes=/usr/local/pgsql/include
> --with-postgres-libs=/usr/local/pgsql/lib
>
> This worked well although as I remember I made a modification or two
> from the original instructions.

Are you probably following old instructions? I guess that because I see that
you disabled jpeg, while I added the jpeg support some months ago...

>So now with the same instructions I'm
> trying to compile grass7. It stops when it hits an error on XDR:
> checking for xdrmem_create... no
> checking for xdrmem_create in -lsun... no
> checking for xdrmem_create in -lnsl... no
> checking for xdrmem_create in -lrpclib... no
> checking for xdrmem_create in -lxdr... no
> configure: error: *** Unable to locate XDR functions.

The -lxdr message means that the configure is looking for the libxdr.dll
file... while XDR is currently built as static one.

> I originally installed the "xdr-4.0-mingw2" package and also just
> tried "sunrpc-4.0-bin" as I saw on a list somewhere but neither seem
> to fix it. In /usr/local/include/rpc there is xdr.h but for some
> reason configure isn't finding it. Any advice?

Yes. Follow the instructions in my building guide
(http://www.webalice.it/marco.pasetti/grass/BuildFromSource.html#Xdr) and
build XDR as static.

>Are there other reasons
> I should give up on a grass7 build that I'm not aware of?

No. But consider that in these days I'm re-designing the whole building
environment, in order to build GRASS 6.4 and 7 as a "continuous" task.
Along with that I'll release self-installers of the development builds and
I'll update the building guide.

Regards,

Marco