[GRASS-windows] bash: startx: command not found, X11?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Feb 20 20:56:11 EST 2008

ojanen wrote:

> On an XP Professional platform I've just installed Cygwin and GRASS 6.2.3-1.
> Typing startx in the bash window yields the error "startx: command not
> found". It was suggested in a previous thread to (re)install X11 windows.
> Question- There are about 65 choices under the X11 heading. Can someone help
> me narrow this down? Assuming of course this would solve the problem.

How much of X have you installed?

FWIW, "startx" is in the X-startup-scripts package. So far as X is
concerned, you'll also need most of the xorg-x11-* packages (you can
omit some of the font packages) and the xterm package.

Also, /usr/X11R6/bin needs to be in the path; add it in /etc/profile
if it isn't there already.