[GRASS-windows] notes on updating GRASS via native installer on windows vista......

Darren Norris doon75 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 23 18:18:20 EDT 2008

Hi all,Marco and others have been helping to implement MySQL support in GRASS 6.3 windows native ....
(big thank you all for your time and patience - Marcus I am not in any hurry and know you have a lot to do so please don't worry too much about the MySQL side of things I am grateful for whatever and whenever you are able to add another piece)
As a first step Marco gave instructions to update GRASS 6.3.0 to 6.3.4 (he works very quickly!!). Just putting here some features I encountered - has anyone else had the same or was it just me??
GRASS 6.3.4 downloaded from http://grass.osgeo.org/grass63/binary/mswindows/native, on windows vista professional:
1) I didn't know that there is no need to uninstall (Marcus - I did it before your note!!)- can this be added to the installation notes of the page in the link above (or did I just miss it)?

2) I uninstalled GRASS first (from icon on start menu) and also ran a registry clean but the new install still detected an old version???? Does this mean there are "bits" of GRASS floating around that are not uninstalled properly?

3) I have never managed to run the installation with the North Carolina sample dataset, install just stalls (South Dakota / Spearfish  is fine)...maybe something to do with the tar / gzip stuff ??

4) I have a dial up connection so saved the setup .exe (didn't run it). First time I tried to run the setup (from the saved file) it didn't work (I know this as the new windows command line feature wasn't added to the start menu). The setup went through the full process (automatically detected previous version etc see note above) but did not seem to install / update full features. Then I tried running the setup .exe again as administrator (right clicked on the .exe, run as  administrator)- now setup worked fine (probably - I haven't checked all I was doing before)....Is it worth adding a warning about user account control to the install info?

5) I'm not sure if it is necessary to restart for the install to "take effect"?

Hope this is clear,
Many thanks,
Darren

p.s. happy to try all again if I need to provide proper logs / tests etc - but I will need to know where to get the logs from!!