[GRASS-windows] Timetable for MySQL driver for Grass 6.3 / 6.4?

Marco Pasetti marco.pasetti at alice.it
Sat Jun 21 05:17:12 EDT 2008

Hi Darren,

> Downloaded and installed Grass directly no worries with the windows native
> installer on Vista (at least I think so) and am happily playing around
> with
> rasters and vectors and am able to do everything I need - well almost).

very good! JFYI, the next WinGRASS binary releases will be built on Vista; I
already checked (with the under-development build) that it will help to fix
some Vista specific bugs (such as http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/111 and
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/118)

> Just wondering if there are any plans to add the MySQL driver?

yes it is, but it has a low priority value in our tasks list.

>Can't get a
> clear idea from the road map docs / wiki etc.

take a look here: http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/WinGRASS_Current_Status#ToDo
I'll update it as soon as possible

>And / or is it possible to add
> this manually - if so is there an idiots guide to do this?

yes it is... but it's not exactly easy to do! and surely not without
re-compile GRASS at least.
Actually, there are no specific instruction on how to compile GRASS with the
MySQL support; but if you want know how to build GRASS from source (just to
realize the "weight" of the job) take a look here:
http://www.webalice.it/marco.pasetti/grass/BuildFromSource.html
The documentation on WinGRASS is stil not complete as I would (as the build,
actually), but every week a try do add a little "brick" to complete that;
so... stay tuned!

Regards,

Marco