[GRASS-windows] failed installation of cygwin and GRASS on windows XP

Ljuba Veselinova ljuba12 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 09:21:44 EDT 2008

Thank you so much for your reply!

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 9:00 AM, Glynn Clements
<glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:

>  Ljuba Veselinova wrote:
>
>  > I would very much like to test GRASS in windows environment; I am
>  > completely new to it; I know the basics of GIS and have used mainly
>  > the ESRI products.
>  >
>  > I followed the instructions from the link below
>  >
>  > http://geni.ath.cx/grass.html#toc5
>  >
>  > Everything worked exactly as shown until step 7. I copied the
>  > grass60.bat file to the C:\cygwin directory and ran it from the
>  > command line. It looked like it ran, but it just flashed through and I
>  > never  got the bash screen with the welcome to GRASS message. As I
>  > said, this is completely new territory for me, so any advice on how to
>  > proceed from here will be greatly appreciated.
>
>  I would avoid trying to start GRASS from a batch file until you have
>  it working.
>
>  Personally, I would suggest starting Cygwin's shell from Windows'
>  start menu, running "startx" from the shell, then starting GRASS by
>  running "grass62" from the xterm.
>
>  That way, if any of the steps fail, you know which step failed, and
>  you should also get an error message.

In fact, all of the above failed. I have no idea what to choose to
start cygwin from the windows start menu -- there are many things
listed there. I ended up typing startx at the windows cmd line but it
resulted in a bunch of error messages most of them read

' not found
or something similar

The contents of the XWin.log is appended below

_XSERVTransSocketINETCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running

Fatal server error:
Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't
already running

Thanks again for any help with this.

Best wishes,
Ljuba

>  --
>  Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>

Ljuba Veselinova
Dept of Linguistics, Stockholm University, S-10691 Stockholm, Sweden

"We learn by going where we want to go."
 Julia Cameron