[GRASS-windows] testing the new GRASS 6.4.0RC3 binaries on Win XP

Isaac Ullah isaac.ullah at asu.edu
Wed Apr 8 14:22:09 EDT 2009

I just want to confirm that this binary package installs and runs on my XP
machine. The 6.4 installer identifies, and uninstalls the previous 6.3
binary, but not osgeo4w 6.4RC3 installation (but I did not expect it to do
so). I was able to do several raster operations (mapcalulator, shaded
relief, etc), but the 3-d rendering (NVIS) portion of the map display does
not wrk at all. In fact, even the buttons at the top become conflated with
the regular (2-D display) buttons, and the display eventually freezes and
cannot be closed. Making a new display from the layer tree command window
works even though the first display os frozen, and the new display works
fine in 2-d, but will break again if 3-d display is attempted (and freeze in
the same way). All 2-d display commands seem to work properly from their
buttons in the display manager. Of course, the digitizer does not work, but
the user is warned of that at start up. Mysys "shell" version also works in
the same manner. Commands can be executed  as command line arguments, but
excuting commands with an "&" will not pull of g.parser GUI's of individual
modules.

I'll continue to test this version, and if I come across any other major
issues, I'll report them here.

Cheers,

Isaac

--

Isaac I Ullah, M.A.

Archaeology PhD Student,
ASU School of Evolution and Social Change

Research Assistant,
Mediterranean Landscape Dynamics Project
isaac.ullah at asu.edu
ullah at archaeologist.com

http://www.public.asu.edu/~iullah