[GRASS-windows] WinGRASS not deleting temp ppm files from map display

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Apr 17 10:28:19 EDT 2009

Isaac Ullah wrote:

> Glynn, I tried your tests with no replication of the error. Then I had an
> epiphany. I realized that all the mapsets that had the extra ppm files are
> mapsets where I was digitizing vectors from features in raster images using
> the tcltk v.digit module in RC3. I did a test using spearfish, and I was
> able to replicate the problem. When v.digit loads, it creates it's own ppm
> and ppg files for the background of the v.digit display (seperate from the
> ppm and ppg files created for the regular tcltk map display). When one exits
> from v.digit, those ppm and ppg stay.

That would explain it.

> When one exits from grass, the ppm and
> ppg files for the map display are erased, but NOT those created by the
> v.digit display. I don't have access to my linux box at the moment, but this
> could potentially be a cross-platform issue with the tcltk v.digit.

It's likely to be less of an issue on Unix, as the temp directory gets
cleaned when GRASS exits. Some of the cleaning code doesn't work on
Windows (it can't determine whether a file is owned by the current
user, or whether the process which created it is still running), so
the cleaning is less aggressive, only removing files which are more
than 4 days old.

> I assume
> the issue will be fixed in the forthcoming wxpython v.digit as AFAIK the wx
> gui does not write ppm files for it's display...

The wx GUI generates PPM/PGM files, but removes them when they're no
longer required.

> Shall I submit a bug ticket on this?

Please do.