[GRASS-windows] Re: importing ESRI grids (Enrico R. Crema)

Enrico R. Crema enryu_crema at yahoo.it
Tue Apr 21 12:47:03 EDT 2009

>> I'm surprised that GRASS (I'm using the GUI version of 6.3 under
>> Windows)
>> doesn't allow for the important of ESRI GRIDS. I see that it allows
>> import
>> if they are in ascii format, or binary format but apparently not in
>> their
>> native ESRI format (i.e. similar to Arc Info coverages, having two
>> folders,
>> one named after the grid name, the other an INFO folder).  I assume
>> this is
>> because that format is proprietary and GDAL cannot handle it.
>
> Both ASCII and Binary grids are supported:
> http://www.gdal.org/formats_list.html

The ESRI native format (ESRI GRID) indeed stores the raster data data
in a INFO folder and folder with the name of the raster (e.g.
elevation). When importing you simply have to specify the name of the
folder:

r.in.gdal input=/Users/admin/data/elevation output=elevation -o

(with -o flag to override the projection which might be necessary)