[GRASS-windows] GRASS 6.4.0 RC3 wxpython : command ... not yet implemented (d.barscale etc)

Vladimir Goncharov vgon at mobilae.ru
Mon Feb 23 12:08:30 EST 2009

Hi,

Moritz Lennert wrote:
> On 23/02/09 08:25, Vladimir Goncharov wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Sorry for silly question, but before I used to explore the GRASS  in
>> 94-98 on X Window (Linux)  computer only. Now
>> I'm reading GRASS Book (3rd edition) and trying to run its examples on
>> Windows version.
>
> Which version ?
Please look at the subject line: GRASS 6.4.0 RC3

>> when I run
>>    d.barscale at=0,0
>
> (From) Where do you 'run' it ?

Sorry, I don't know can I attach screenshots here? Anyway, the window is
called 'GRASS GIS Layer Manager (Experimental Prototype)'.
I entered commands in bottom line  marker 'Cmd>'

> In this case d.barscale is called from within the GUI. But, yes, the
> message is not entirely correct.
>
> If you want to display something in the GUI Display window, then you
> have to go through the GUI to do so, you cannot type d.* commands at
> the Cmd> prompt of the GUI.
But I can type
  d.his elevation i=elevation_shade
and
  d.vect roadsmajor
and it work prefectly. What is difference between d.his and d.barscale?
Is it documented?

> You can use d.* commands on the command line when you use direct
> rendering [1].

What is direct rendering?
>> Other commands, like d.his work perfectly
>
> Where and how does it work perfectly ?
>
> (  BTW,does anybody know is
>> there menu item for this command? I can't find it:))
>
> It is not in the main menus, but in the 'Add raster layer' button menu.
Sorry? I see d.shadedmap and r.his out there, but not d.his.  Probably
r.his does the same work, but it requires more arguments.

Again, I'm reading GRASS book and trying to run commands found in the
text ( 3rd chapter in this case). It seems that
I have to use stable version but not bleeding-edge one.

Vladimir