[GRASS-windows] Using Schwarzeck Namibia

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Tue Jun 2 17:06:16 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 2:00 PM, Louis Becker
<Louis.Becker at cellone.com.na> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have receive map coordinates in accordance with Schwarzeck Namibia
> projection: EPSG Codes: 4293, 29371, 29373, 29375, 29377, 29379, 29381.

(I found also 29383)

http://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/4293
http://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/29371
http://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/29373
http://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/29375
http://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/29377
http://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/29379
http://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/29381
http://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/29383

> If I try to create a location in Grass with these EPSG codes, I get error
> messages.

I get these errors:

for i in 4293 29371 29373 29375 29377 29379 29381 29383 ; do g.proj -c
epsg=$i location=epsg$i ; done
WARNING: Datum <Schwarzeck> not recognised by GRASS and no parameters found
Location epsg4293 created!
ERROR 6: No translation for Transverse_Mercator_South_Orientated to
PROJ.4 format is known.
Location epsg29371 created!
ERROR 6: No translation for Transverse_Mercator_South_Orientated to
PROJ.4 format is known.
Location epsg29373 created!
ERROR 6: No translation for Transverse_Mercator_South_Orientated to
PROJ.4 format is known.
Location epsg29375 created!
ERROR 6: No translation for Transverse_Mercator_South_Orientated to
PROJ.4 format is known.
Location epsg29377 created!
ERROR 6: No translation for Transverse_Mercator_South_Orientated to
PROJ.4 format is known.
Location epsg29379 created!
ERROR 6: No translation for Transverse_Mercator_South_Orientated to
PROJ.4 format is known.
Location epsg29381 created!
ERROR 6: No translation for Transverse_Mercator_South_Orientated to
PROJ.4 format is known.
Location epsg29383 created!

It exists, though:
http://geotiff.maptools.org/proj_list/transverse_mercator_south_oriented.html

> Would I be able to work in this projection with Grass, and if
> “Yes”, how do I create the location.

We'll find that out, I hope.
For now I have extended this related bug report:

http://trac.osgeo.org/proj/ticket/18

Markus