[GRASS-windows] Instructions for devel versions added to CompileOnWindows

Colin Nielsen colin.nielsen at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 11:09:41 EDT 2009

I've just finished adding instructions to the Wiki page for compiling
grass-6.5.svn (develbranch_6) and grass-7.0.svn (trunk). Please test.

> Colin, addictionally I suggest you include the format of path as unix
> on some steps, because it facilitate the copy and past (just to save
> time of those the decide to handle the things on MSYS).
> -------
> 3. Copy c:\osgeo4w\apps\msys\etc\fstab.sample to
> c:\osgeo4w\apps\msys\etc\fstab (without .sample)
>     or
>  cp /c/OSGeo4W\apps\msys\etc\fstab.sample /c/OSGeo4W\apps\msys\etc\fstab
> -----
> 4. Open c:\osgeo4w\apps\msys\etc\fstab
>    or /c/OSGeo4W/apps/msys/etc/fstab
> --------
>
> 3. Open c:\osgeo4w\usr\src\grass64\mswindows\osgeo4w\package.sh and at line
> 12: Change:
>
> or /c/OSGeo4W/usr\src/\grass64/mswindows/osgeo4w/package.sh

I agree we could probably change step 3 to your suggestion, but I left
those lines in windows format because:
1) Windows users are more familiar with using windows explorer for
file management, and
2) For the other lines just typing /c/osgeo4w/apps/msys/etc/fstab will
not open the file for editing. This still has to be done externally in
notepad, notepad++ or some other text editor (I'm not touching
instructions for vim!).

> By the way, I remember that almost on my case I needed to incluide
> to extra steps before start GRASS
>
> GRASS_WISH=/c/OSGeo4W/bin/wish.exe
> export GRASS_WISH
> cd /c/OSGeo4W/apps/grass/bin
> grass6

Is this a problem specific to xp/vista 64-bit? Can you give us more
details on the error messages you receive? I believe the setting of
GRASS_WISH should be handled by etc/Init.sh. So if this isn't working
on x64 this should be fixed.

> Finally, now I get grass65 and not grass64, so I suggest update this.

Done.

-Colin