[GRASS-windows] r.shaded.relief problems

Frank Broniewski frank at frabron.de
Fri Nov 20 02:58:50 EST 2009

Hello list,

I recently installed the latest wingrass (6.4.0svn (2009)) release on  my
Windows Vista 64 machine. The installation went well. But unfortunately I
discovered, that I cannot launch r.shaded.relief and some others, namely
r.tileset, g.manual and r.patch. There may be others by I haven't tested all
the commands. The r.patch is different from the others and I have found the
bug report for this problems, so I suppose I just need to wait or disable
the UAC, wich unfortunately is not an option in our company.

For the other two commands I get a similar output as following:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:/GRASS/etc/wxpython/wxgui.py", line 521, in
OnMenuCmd

menuform.GUI().ParseCommand(cmd, parentframe=self)
  File "C:\GRASS\etc\wxpython\gui_modules\menuform.py", line
1812, in ParseCommand

xml.sax.parseString(getInterfaceDescription(cmd[0]).decode(e
nc).encode("utf-8"),
  File "C:\GRASS\etc\wxpython\gui_modules\menuform.py", line
1751, in getInterfaceDescription

raise IOError, _("Unable to fetch interface description for
command '%s'.") % cmd
IOError
:
Unable to fetch interface description for command
'r.shaded.relief'.

Is this a known problem? Running the command from the GRASS command line
points to a problem with the batch file. Running the command with the --help
switch gives no output, but instead a new prompt:
"C:/GRASS/msys/bin/sh.exe"-2.04$
You can cancel this with CTRL+C. r.shaded.relief.bat is indeed a batch file
wich calls a file in /scripts/. I noticed some other batch files and all the
batch files I tested do not work. There are no spaces in my directory paths,
users home dir is /users/frank, the mapset path has also no spaces
(D:\Frank\Dokumente\GISDataBase\demolocation).
I tested some variants in the grass command shell and it seems that there is
a problem with the /msys/sh.exe. Calling r.fillnulls (as an example) from
within sh.exe gives the following errors:

"c:/GRASS/msys/bin/sh.exe"-2.04$ c:/GRASS/scripts/r.fillnulls
      0 [main] sh.exe" 3288 sync_with_child: child 2800(0x124) died before
initi
alization with status code 0x0
    383 [main] sh.exe" 3288 sync_with_child: *** child state waiting for
longjmp

"c:/GRASS/msys/bin/sh.exe": fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
"c:/GRASS/msys/bin/sh.exe"-2.04$

Unfortunately this is as far as I can debug. So I hope that there is someone
who can give me a hint on how to deal with that problem.

Many thanks

Frank