[GRASS-windows] RE: cannot get r.to.vect to work

Snowdon, Barry B FOR:EX Barry.Snowdon at gov.bc.ca
Thu Oct 15 12:36:52 EDT 2009

Hi folks,

I'm new to GRASS and trying to convert from raster to vector using GRASS
6.3 under VISTA without any success.

The raster I'm trying to convert was originally an ESRI arc ascii that I
imported into grass.

It displays okay and has these characteristics

-----+

|-----------------------------------------------------------------------
-----|

 |   Type of Map:  raster               Number of Categories: 99
|
 |   Data Type:    CELL
|
 |   Rows:         4900
|
 |   Columns:      5628
|
 |   Total Cells:  27577200
|
 |        Projection: Albers Equal Area
|
 |            N:  1368637.5    S:   878637.5   Res:   100
|
 |            E:  1393837.5    W:   831037.5   Res:   100
|
 |   Range of data:    min = 1  max = 99
|

 |   Data Description:
|
 |    generated by r.in.arc
|

 |   Comments:
|
 |    r.in.arc
input="E:/FAIB/SELES_work/DATABASE/newLocation/PERMANENT/ce\   |
 |    ll/lu.asc" output="pgtsa_lu" type="CELL" mult=1.0

-----+

But when I run r.to.vect Iget the following message.

r.to.vect input=pgtsa_lu output=lu_poly feature=area --overwrite
--verbose

Vector map <lu_poly> already exists and will be overwritten

Extracting areas...

Building topology ...
Registering lines:
0 primitives registered
Building areas:
0 areas built
0 isles built
Attaching islands:
Attaching centroids: Topology was built.
Number of nodes     :   0
Number of primitives:   0
Number of points    :   0
Number of lines     :   0
Number of boundaries:   0
Number of centroids :   0
Number of areas     :   0
Number of isles     :   0

r.to.vect complete.

Any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Barry Snowdon, RPF
Forest Analysis and Inventory Branch
British Columbia Ministry of Forests and Range
Email:  Barry.Snowdon at gov.bc.ca
Tel:  250-387-3266
Fax:  250-953-3838