Fwd: [Incubator] Project Incubation Mentor

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Thu Apr 6 07:58:56 EDT 2006

Sean Gillies wrote: Forwarding my reply. Take two.
>> My perception is that the committee wants to fast track the initial
>> projects. That's what I mean by mainstream. IMO, the process should
>> be slower, more conservative, and have a real effect on the projects.
Fair enough. So far the incubator is having an effect on the geotools
community, including some very positive ones as the current crop of
module maintainers wrestles with what they actually have. In terms of
signs of life I would be happy if geotools did not make it out of the
incubator stage until the next release (even if that next release is
called version 3).  We have all most the opposite problem as you
described in that geotools is serving as a great start for project
development, but we have not been able to make things easy enough to
contribute back.

To be something "foundational" I expect geotools to work on its own
foundations, with focus on standards support (already there),
consistency of code (horrible but shows great signs for improvement),
with a lesser focus on completeness of solution (we are a library with a
clear focus, and a growing list of things we are not - such as widget
toolkit).

And finally the biggest is accessibility - geotools needs to be able to
provide at *least* an intro to use, even if that consists of demo
programs with comments.

So I do not expect to be fast tracked, it is more important to do things
well. One thing we are all using OSGEO for is a venue for improvement,
while improvements in publicity may be visible, the incubator committee
will be in charge of much of the "maturity" concerns and will set the
pace and reputation that will prop up the OSGEO brand.
>> I don't intend that going slow be punitive, but that it give adequate
>> time for projects to make progress on the transformations that
>> they've begun.
And transformations the process inspires.