[Incubator] Propose FDO for Incubation

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Tue Jul 18 11:05:09 EDT 2006

Paul Spencer wrote:
> I think this is the right decision.  FDO is really a separate library
> used by MapGuide OS in the same way that GDAL is used by MapServer.
>
> Regarding acceptance of another project into incubation, I am not sure
> if the IncCom wants to graduate all 8 original projects first or if we
> want to accept new projects to keep the running total at about 8 projects?
>
> Personally, I'd like to see a couple of the projects graduate
> (MapBuilder, GDAL,...) reasonably quickly and then start looking for new
> projects.
Well, I think the main limiting factor is mentors.  Which was more or
less by design, so we won't get projects in that no one's excited enough
to take some time to help them through the process.  It sounds like
since we lost Daniel as a mentor and you're now doing MapGuide, Paul, we
should perhaps hold off until another project graduates.

I think I'd imagine a running total of 3-5 projects in incubation as
being close to an ideal, so that we're not sucking up too much time from
mentors.  But I'm definitely not against more if mentors are willing to
step up.

Chris