gdal status

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Jul 18 12:25:04 EDT 2006

Folks,

I thought a review of the current status of GDAL would be in order.
In summary, GDAL is essentially ready for graduation with the
exception of a number (22) of issues of code provenance.

I have a question about this part of the process.  If the project has
gone through the process of the provenance review and identified
suspicious code with reasonable vigor, is this sufficient to graduate
the project (if they meet the other criteria), or should graduation
be delayed over these (potentially minor but time consuming) issues?

My feeling is that due diligence (on the part of OSGeo) has been done
at this point, which is the role of the IncCom.  In an ideal world, I
would end up reporting on this every week or two, generating
unnecessary churn and holding up an incubation spot for another
potential project.  OTOH, I can see the argument against officially
accepting a project that has not yet cleared up the known issues.

Perhaps we need one more step in the process, which is to graduate a
project like this to 'provisional pending completion of the listed
items' status so we can get it out of incubation?

The details:

Code Provenance:

There are 22 outstanding issues listed in the code provenance review.

Project Governance:

GDAL has established a governance model, a PMC and a set of
documented processes for making decisions.  This appears to be
actually followed as well :)

Developer Community:

The developer community appears to be functioning in a manner that is
aligned with the "OSGeo Way", although I have not noticed a
significant amount of activity that would indicate this one way or
the other.  This is partly because there have been no contentious
issues brought up that would test the system (since I have been
actively watching the project).

Smoke Test and Automated Builds:

I have not asked Frank about this, but I don't think there is
anything quite this formal, although there are tests that can be
manually run prior to a new release.

Code Commiters Agreement:

not applicable.

Cheers