[Incubator] gdal status

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jul 19 21:34:16 EDT 2006

>> I have a question about this part of the process.  If the project has
>> gone through the process of the provenance review and identified
>> suspicious code with reasonable vigor, is this sufficient to graduate
>> the project (if they meet the other criteria), or should graduation
>> be delayed over these (potentially minor but time consuming) issues?

Paul,

I will say that it is my intention to either correct or else pass each
of the outstanding issues past appropriate review (from IncCom at large
or perhaps Rich).  I certainly don't consider GDAL ready for graduation
specifically due to the IP issues.

>> Smoke Test and Automated Builds:
>>
>> I have not asked Frank about this, but I don't think there is
>> anything quite this formal, although there are tests that can be
>> manually run prior to a new release.

There are also nightly build and smoke tests run by Howard at:

   http://gdal.builds.hobu.net/

It is my hope to migrate this to OSGeo servers, but I don't think it
is necessary just yet.

>> Code Commiters Agreement:
>>
>> not applicable.

I will add that I hope to pass a GDAL RFC addressing details of code
committers responsibilities before requesting to graduate.  While I didn't
raise the issue with regard to Mapbender, I do think having fairly clear
responsibilities for code committers is important as they are essentially
being asked to be the ongoing gatekeeper for new code contributions.

This isn't necessarily something that needs to be signed, but I'm planning
to go back to all GDAL code committers seeking an acceptance via email
or else to drop them from the commit list.  MapServer already has such an
RFC though I think it is "light" on the legal issues aspect.