[Incubator] General Blast to the OSGEO world from CollabNet

Auke Jilderda auke at collab.net
Mon Jun 26 06:24:16 EDT 2006

Cameron,

migrating to or from a solution is always a concern with any solution,
including Atlassian Confluence (CodeHause) and CollabNet Enterprise
Edition (OSGeo).

A migration always requires effort and typically can propagate only (a
large but incomplete) part of the data set, regardless of the particular
solution you're migrating to and from.  It boils down to finding the
balance between how much of the data set you need (or want) to propagate
and how much effort you can (or want to) invest.  With OSGeo.org,
CollabNet can assist both with moving on to and off of the
infrastructure but the migration needs depend on the project and, with
that, have to be assessed and executed on a per project and on-demand
basis.  There is no generic need and solution.

Bearing in mind what data you need to migrate and how much effort that
takes, you need to balance the benefits against the down sides to decide
whether it is worthwhile for your project.  We regularly coach people
through this process and I'd be happy to assist you with this if you
like but it naturally is your decision to make.

Your point 1 is actually not a matter of CollabNet management but
OSGeo's financial sponsors continuing to support OSGeo.  And again is
not specific to CollabNet but to any infrastructure you use.  At the end
of the day, it boils down to what extent a project finds it in their
best interest to run their own infrastructure or focus their efforts on
their project.

Auke

http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Community_Mapbuilder_Incubation_Progress