[Incubator] "Should QGIS Join OSGeo?"

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Oct 4 11:31:50 EDT 2006

Cameron Shorter wrote:
> QGIS in OSGeo?
> ==============
> QGIS is a good package and with my limited knowledge of it, I think it
> is a strong contender for OSGeo.
> I'm interested to know about the relationship between QGIS and UDig.
> I assume the projects are addressing the same use case (desk top GIS)?
>
> They use different languages, so I assume it will be difficult to
> consolidate the projects?

Cameron,

I would say that QGIS and uDig share the same "space", that of desktop
GIS application.  But there are some differences of focus, and I certainly
don't see a problem with OSGeo having more than one.  From my point of view,
one reason we would like QGIS within OSGeo is because it is becoming a
defacto front-end for GRASS.

> Moving Mapbuilder through graduation:
> =====================================
>
> * I believe Mapbuilder is ready to be graduated. As far as I'm aware, we
> have completed all the graduation criteria. I've been putting off the
> graduation until I had a few spare hours to complete the process, but we
> can bump the priority up if needed.

I would appreciate it if Steve Lime (Mapbuilder mentor) could formally
declare he feels Mapbuilder is ready for graduation.  It is my intention
to call a meeting of the Incubator soon (either this coming Monday or
the one after that), but I want people to have a bit of lead time to
dig into the project themselves.

Our other business is considering applications for incubation, and reviewing
some of the proposed document changes from Cameron and others.  I've stalled
on calling a meeting till I can go back and review what all the proposed
changes are.

> * We intend to put out a Mapbuilder release canidate within the next few
> weeks and it would be opportune to coordinate with an OSGeo Graduation
> Ceremony.

Yes, that would be sweet.