[Incubator] Review Of MapBuilder incubation artifacts

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Mon Oct 16 14:19:41 EDT 2006

Jody Garnett wrote:
> Hi Frank, good call on email discussion ...
>
> I am going to review the docs that we generated as part of the
> incubation process and make sure they offer good visibility for where
> MapBuilder is now. I would not mind a separate account of what changes
> MapBuilder needed to make as part of it's incubation - as an example
> for projects that come later.
>
> I will vote after the review...
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Community_Mapbuilder_Incubation_Progress

Page is good, notes follow:
- page should be done up as a formal document/report for the official
OSGeo site, at the end of incubation this is the only record we have.
- for the first section where OSGeo infrastructure was not used, the
actual alternative should be present as a link (so that when we hand
this document over to webcomm they will be able to quickly set up a
summary page)
- Project Steering Committee - in addition to members list I would like
to see evidence of a procedure (so we can confirm it is infact open to
members of different organizations etc...) Google found:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAP/Credits (which does not provide a
procedure). Note the sponsorship section on that page is very good, we
should consider asking for a list of sponsors from each project - as
OSGeo visibility is a reason for sponsors to invest time and effort into
both MapBuilder (and specifically into getting MapBuilder through
incubation)
- project documents, what are we looking for here indeed. I am looking for
a) link to OSGeo
b) correct use of OSGeo logo
c) OSGeo contact information on official docs such as pdf installation
instructions etc
d) correct use of fonts and branding on official documents
e) since the viscomm / webcomm have not facilitated this I would like to
see mapbuilder have a plan for documentation / website upgrade
- brand the project web site, same comments simply viewing the project
website as an official document to be treated like any other
****warning markoid semi-requirements****
We also need a couple of markoid documents from MapBuilder, handout is
already available for example, it would be also be wise to have a
feature matrix. While the web and vis committees have not figured out
what the exact requirement is I can not hold MapBuilder responsible for
its lack.
Cameron can I request the following documents:
a) Feature Matrix - with special attention paid to what SDI component
mapbuilder is (ie a web client), what standards it uses to play with
others (WMS and WFS, and Tile?), and specifically what FOSS others it
plays with nicely (ie what do you test against as part of your release
procedure?)
b) Developer and User Guides - links will suffice, want to ensure that
both the development process is open, and that users are catered to
c) Handout - understand this is already done, simply listed as a
checkpoint for following project
d) license, was not listed here
e) Release Process (should be a section of the developers guide) and
Roadmap, want to ensure that release process is open and scheduled so
that others wanting to use MapBuilder can plan
- Code Copyright review, link is present
- Issues Raised, yes they have been addressed - would it be a benifit to
offer a summary here? The link does provide the license but does not
provide a list of the issues addressed.

Other things to check:
- contact information on wiki for interaction with other OSGeo
committees, understand that Cameron is already listed

Why this feedback and why now?

My thinking is this, when the process grows we will need to ensure the
incubation committee provides information to the next people in the
chain. We need to make sure that a graduating project actually is ready
for graduation with all the materials available needed by other OSGeo
committees.  I understand that some of this is hard due to visual
standards not being defined yet, setting up an adoption plan or a
responsible memeber of the MapBuilder commity will need to prove sufficient.

I will wait for Cameron's feedback before voting - perhaps he could
forward this message to his developer email list.