[Incubator] Motion: Recommend OpenLayers for Incubation

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Oct 31 14:33:04 EST 2006

To speak directly to this concern, OpenLayers has already done what
they agreed to at the various discussions in FOSS4G.  The only
changes required in OpenLayers were:

* reduce impact on existing code (in other projects) by removing the
prototype dependency

* create a mini-build of OpenLayers (which was done by incorporating
a build system that allows building a single js with just specific
parts of OL).

I think incubation will actually help the situation and waiting would
only hurt.  If OL becomes an official OSGEO project, it will be
easier to justify making it the core/basis of other webmapping
projects ... that's my opinion anyway :)

Cheers

Paul