[Incubator] Transfering Code Copyright - restart

rich at richsteele.org rich at richsteele.org
Sun Sep 3 19:40:57 EDT 2006

Cameron,

If the intent is to grant some kind of "community" copyright ownership
to anyone who is given write access to the repository, this doesn't
work.  In the US at least (and many other jurisdictions), copyright
vests in the creator of the work, and any assignment must be in writing.

The converse is also true:  you can't strip someone of their copyright
simply because they ask to be removed from the repository write access
list.

-Rich