[Geotools-devel] Feedback requested for OSGEO Infrastructure Migration

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Sun Sep 24 17:47:23 EDT 2006

Thanks Mr Custer, (sending your reply onto the appropriate osgeo list)
> Hey Jody,
> Here's my take on the migration proposal doc:
> 1) Web site:
>         Moving to a website without ads would be good. Drupal seems
>         reasonable except that we should consider the issues we've had
>         with Confluence. I can't get a feel for its wiki style. Also, I
>         have no idea if Drupal can do PDF export of certain
>         sections/sub-projects; a quick-look suggests it may not.

We can also set up the existing site without adds (see
http://udig.refractions.net for an example) - currently are held back
more by poor control over our DNS entry.  I had a terrible time with
Drupal some years ago, but should probably look at it again.  Made sure
to mention the ability to do a pdf export (as one of the issues we had
with confluence).
> 2) Trac looks primitive compared to bugzilla:

Indeed.
> 3) Would we have a repository for our jars and an update site for
> eclipse/uDig plugins?

This is one of the questions I asked them (ie need of a maven
repository), it is not on their radar right now as we have been quiet.
> 4) We could use a way to share files easily, a pastebin or some such,
> that would get around firewalls (i.e. sftp to a server, http download or
> some such.

Um, Andrea uses something (maybe pastebin?), but to allow the maven repo
site to be maintained we would need to have a webdav folder
(much like refractions currently provides at
http://lists.refractions.net/m2 - your svn user name password should work).

Another thing mentioned was support for single sign on.
Currently codehaus offers single sign on for for svn, confluence, jira,
email lists, etc... all managed by a ruby app called xircles (I imagine
it boils down to a LDAP directory at the end of the day but seems
slightly more integrated then that).

Thanks for the feedback, I will try and report back if anything
interesting comes of this.
Jody