[Incubator] MOSS4G and Incubation

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Feb 12 23:29:03 EST 2007

John,

We had a lively discussion today about the incubation process and the different
levels of maturity and community size appropriate for projects entering
incubation.  The consensus view coming out of that was that projects have to be
user-ready before they are accepted into incubation (ie. reasonably mature).

With regret we concluded that MOSS4G doesn't meet that criteria given that
it is just launching.

We also talked quite a bit about offering systems support (trac, svn, etc) to
projects at a pre-incubation state to help them, and to ease eventual
transition into full fledged foundation projects.  In true committee fashion
all we managed to agree on with regard to that was to discuss it some more
at our next meeting. :-)

However, it is my feeling that SAC is well within it's rights to extend
systems support to MOSS4G if it wishes to, as long as MOSS4G isn't
represented as an approved OSGeo project.  Given that folks like you, me
and Mateusz are doing quite a bit of work on SAC, I think it is a reasonable
thing to ask.

I also think there are excellent opportunities for getting the message out
about MOSS4G via various OSGeo mechanisms (the news list we already hit),
discuss, and at the conference as well as involvement of the existing mobile
community-of-interest within OSGeo.

I'm very excited about MOSS4G, and I am looking forward to the point where
the project is user ready!