[Incubator] Motion: Recommend gvSIG for Incubation

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Thu Jul 12 18:26:05 EDT 2007

That has been my experience; but it is understandable considering the
project. Between the GPL license and project deadlines gvSig is known
for rolling their own. This is more the reality of open source
development and not a strike against the gvSIG project.

You can often quickly code up something for a short term result; but to
contribute back (and make the result suitable for a wider audience)
takes time and may not be financially worthwhile. Personally I have done
this myself more than once - as an example a custom branch of uDig
created on a deadline contained an improved XML parser - that almost two
years later will finally be returned to GeoTools.

Cheers,
Jody