[Incubator] Wake up call

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Thu May 10 11:15:33 EDT 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Gary Sherman wrote:
>>
>> On May 10, 2007, at 5:04 AM, Jeroen Ticheler wrote:
>>
>>> We considered moving to the SVN, but with Arnulf's threat I'll
>>> reconsider that move ;-)
>>
>> Hmm, I didn't know the foundation operated using fear and
>> intimidation....
>
> Folks,
>
> The foundation operates based on consensus or near consensus.  I think we
> can all be confident that Arnulf's idea does not have broad support -
> whether
> joking or not.
>
> Best regards,

I am pretty sure that any motion to the board involving depriving developers of their work base would not ever pass, so there was no harm in blurting out loud about it.

But I am not so sure whether in this context simple near consensus is good enough. If we want graduation to mean anything we have to adhere to what we decided some time back and that was to revisit projects that stalled on incubation and find out why that is so.

Especially in the case of GDAL I will strongly support to leave it hanging in incubation even if half dead for as long as we can possibly further exploit Frank's work power for OSGeo's purposes. But then again, this is not nice either.