[Incubator] Wake up call

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Fri May 11 13:29:42 EDT 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Gary Sherman wrote:
>>> Hi Gary,
>>> I think we never met personally. If we would have you would know that
>>> I am just a harmless blond with no intention except showing off her
>>> tits. They are fearful and intimidating indeed, not me or what I say.
>>>
>>> But now that you mention it, I am actually missing all information
>>> about QuantumGIS in the Wiki. There is not even a Project Status page:
>>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Incubation_Committee#Progress
>>>
>>> The QuantumGIS mentor was assigned here:
>>> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/incubator/2007-February/000605.html
>>>
>>> Incubation was approved here:
>>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Twenty_Fifth_Board_Meeting
>>
>> As you say, nothing has happened since approval. Perhaps it is my
>> fault, but I'm unclear as to what happens next. I assumed (perhaps
>> incorrectly) that the mentor is supposed to initiate the process.
>
> Gary,
>
> The mentor is there to answer questions, and will sometimes be proactive
> in poking you to progress.  But I don't think of it as being primarily
> their responsibility to prod you on. Arnulf has listed important first
> steps (getting the status page filled out).  Beyond that important
> objectives are:
>
> 1) Getting organized governance structures in place and documenting them
>    if they don't already exist.  Normally this is accomplished as some sort
>    of RFC type document describing your project steering committee's
>    operation.
>
> 2) Do a review of your code base for possible issues.  This is sometimes
>    referred to as a provenance review.
>
> 3) Make sure you have rules in place for your committers to ensure they
>    understand their responsibilities with regard to keeping the provenance
>    clean after the review.
>
> 4) Review others issues with the openness and professionalism of the
> project
>    that you think should be addressed as part of incubation.  In the past
>    this has included things like institutionalizing use of a bug database,
>    improving user documentation, and automated build and smoketests.
>
> 5) Consider taking advantage of OSGeo infrastructure hosting for things
> like
>    svn, downloads, trac, buildbot.  As well as lightening the load for your
>    project admins, it should also ensure fairly timely resolution of
>    infrastructure problems.
>
> I hope this helps a bit.
>
> Best regards,

Hey Gary,
just consider this to be exactly what I tried to say and please understand that I cannot be as precise as Frank due to a fundamental lack of language capabilities and intellect.

:-)

I have read all this before, I think it looks like a good summary of this page:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Incubation_FAQ
and that one:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Incubation_Process
and all others linked to these. Looks like they could take a good scrubbing, maybe reduce some of the formalities and copy paste above list.

Approved IncCom docs (official versions) live here:
http://www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/process.html
(another URL that reflects the old structure, http://www.osgeo.org/node/134/)

Have a nice weekend,
Arnulf.