[Incubator] OpenLayers graduation time

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 13:47:46 EDT 2007

Daniel,

It is true that OpenLayers had a private PSC list (of which I was
subscribed to since OpenLayers applied for incubation), but the PSC
has been working smoothly behind that closed list.  The major reason
for the closed list was they had also been using it for sending
password/uid requests to gain access to the infrastructure.  Release
motions/votes are now on the main -dev list, and most other
development activities and motions have always been on the -dev
list.  The private PSC list was the major blocker holding up my
motion for graduation.  Most discussions on the private PSC list were
in fact about necessary activities for OSGeo graduation (mostly
focussed on licensing), with the rest of the development-focussed
activities being on the -dev list (except for release motions).  This
has all moved to -dev.

I no longer see the private PSC list issue as a reason to hold up
graduation, and I am satisfied that things are (and have been)
working smoothly with regard to the PSC.  OpenLayer's PSC is quite
diverse and most of OpenLayer's development momentum has been
external to MetaCarta for some time.  I think the notion that FDO
should sit tight for a bit on incubation is in relation to FDO
continuing to have most of its development momentum come from ADSK
and its growing into being an open development project.  OpenLayers
has been operating under the assumptions of being an open development
project for quite a while, and it has been constructing and
constraining its processes and operations with OSGeo incubation in
mind as more contributing organizations have become active in
OpenLayers development.  OpenLayers is mature in this respect, in my
opinion, but I defer to the committee on making the final decision
whether or not to wait for a bit.  I don't think waiting will allow
things to mature any more than they already are, however.

Howard