[Incubator] Re: Recommend Geotools for Graduation - please vote before Friday

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Thu Jul 10 12:39:06 EDT 2008

Julien-Samuel Lacroix wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The Provenance Review list around 30 unresolved known issue. I know we
> don't ask to address all issues, but is that to much? I guess it
> depends on their severity.
> Can we have an idea of the severity of those issues (They are all
> listed as 'Major')?
Well spotted; Major is the default when reporting a new issue. I will
update the issues accordingly.
> Can we have an idea of when they will be addressed?
The bulk of these issues - 90% - concern the test data used; we are not
always sure where the test data came from. I was mostly worried about
the test data used in the various raster plug-ins; it looks like
GeoSolutions is actively closing these one by one. Ian Turton is
hopefully going to track down where some of our really old shapefiles
come from; if that fails we may ask the osgeo-data group for some toy
test data.
> Here's some examples that I felt were more concerning, butI didn't
> check every one of them. Should we worry about those:
> - All, need to review the LICENSE* files in all modules
> - The code origin for the plugin/db2 code has a (C) IBM which needs to
> be resolved.
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOT-1879
This was more an issue for assigning (c) to the OSGeo Foundation that a
graduation requirement. My understanding is that we are waiting to hear
back from IBM legal on this one; we have no idea how long that will
take. Normal IBM policy is to interact with open source projects at the
license level; they are content with the LGPL license; the request to
transfer (c) to the OSGeo foundation is what is being considered.
David Adler is the module maintainer for the DB2 plugin perhaps he will
have more information.
> - The headers in several files of the JTS-wrapper module give
> copyright to the OGC rather than OSGeo.
This issue simply tracks the mistake right now; it will be fixed before
the next release - indeed I can fix it now.