[Incubator] Motion: MetaCRS to enter Incubation

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Sep 12 16:21:29 EDT 2008

Markus Neteler wrote:
>> For me the goals are:
>>
>>  o greater sharing of coordinate system dictionaries (ie. the EPSG
>>   translation problem), and test data
>>
>>  o greater sharing of expertise on coordinate systems.
>>
>>  o Provide a governance structure which encourages additional
>>   project contributions (docs, code, etc).
>
> Perfect - any objections to copy them as "Scope" into the Wiki?
> Here it gets easily lost...

Markus,

To me "Scope" is more an indication of the limits a project sets on it's
self as part of it's definition.  I've touched on the first two elsewhere
in the MetaCRS page, and the third is quite general.  If I were to write
a scope, I'd want it to make it clear that the sub-projects of MetaCRS
would all be coordinate system handling related and that they would be
working towards a somewhat common model of CRS handling (even if there
are distinct implementations).  But I almost feel that this sort of Scope
needs to rise from the project rather than be assigned by me.