[Incubator] OSSIM Incubation Status

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Fri Apr 3 11:08:30 EDT 2009

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> At this point I am pretty satisfied with the condition of the OSSIM code.
> Are there any issues that folks would like to see addressed before I
> make a motion for OSSIM to graduate?  Information on incubation status
> and provenance review are available at:
>
>   http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSSIM_incubation_status
>   http://trac.osgeo.org/ossim/wiki/ossimprovenance

I read in the incubation status page and in the Openness evaluation page
at http://trac.osgeo.org/ossim/wiki/ossimopenness that there are 6 PSC
members, but the OSSIM Governance page only lists four:
http://trac.osgeo.org/ossim/wiki/ossimgovernance. Since this "OSSIM
Governance page" is expected to be the main reference about the PSC it
should be updated now and kept up to date in the future.

My main comment overall is that I find that the way the PSC operates
with face to face meetings is a bit unusual and can be a barrier to new
contributors following/joining the project. As an outsider, reading a
summary of the meeting is not the same as being able to follow the whole
discussion and decision process as it evolves. OTOH the developers list
for OSSIM seems quite active so perhaps that's not that big a deal and
we need to be open to new ways to do things.

If I remember correctly, similar concerns were raised about MapBender
which had most (all?) of its developers under the same roof, and FDO for
which I was mentor and had its graduation delayed until the PSC would
demonstrate the opennness of its decision process and developers community.

Once again, I don't necessarily see this as a blocker since contrary to
the other cases that I listed above the OSSIM developers list seems
fairly active already. Any opinions on that?

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/