[Incubator] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] process for copyright assignment

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Apr 15 11:44:05 EDT 2009

Arnulf Christl wrote:
> On that issue: The Mapbender PSC has voted to move copyright ownership
> of the project to OSGeo (this happened several months back but I never
> followed up). Currently almost all copyrights furtunately lies with
> CCGIS whereof I am the owner, so it will be a one step thing. What do I
> need to do to move the copyright to OSGeo?

Arnulf,

The copyright holder(s) would sign a document assigning the copyright to
OSGeo and forward it to Tyler to be filed.  I believe you can adjust the
GeoTools agreement to name your project:

   http://download.osgeo.org/osgeo/legal/GeotoolsAssignmentToOSGeo.odt

Once this is done it is also desirable to update copyright messages in
the source files accordingly, though this is not strictly required.

Ideally all committers (or their companies as appropriate) should be
signing the document if you want copyright uniformly held by OSGeo.