[Incubator] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] process for copyright assignment

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Apr 17 10:00:45 EDT 2009

Arnulf Christl wrote:
> Thank you, will do.
>
> The PSC also decided to make Mapbender available under a dual licensing
> scheme adding the New and Simplified BSD License[1] to the existing GNU
> GPL. Would it make sense to do this before or after moving copyright to
> OSGeo? Formulated the other way round: Once copyright lies with OSGeo,
> what process would be required for the PSC to change the license?

Arnulf,

To change the license of code for which the copyright has been assigned
to OSGeo, I think it should be sufficient to take these steps.

  o The PSC votes on a motion declaring the change of license terms.
  o The PSC chair (who is an OSGeo officer) declares the motion passed and
    in effect.  As an officer they can speak on behalf of the foundation in
    such matters.
  o The documentation, headers, etc are updated accordingly.

I will note that relicensing normally requires agreement of all copyright
holders.  If some contributions have not been assigned to the foundation,
then the copyright holder would also need to agree to relicensing.  Failure
to get all copyright holders puts the relicensing on a weak legal footing
though if someone objects later it may be sufficient to re-implement their
contribution.