Moving on (was: Re: [Incubator] General gentle reminder to incubating projects)

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) arnulf at osgeo.org
Fri Jul 3 03:38:28 EDT 2009

Folks,
three weeks are (almost) over and there has been considerable progress
(which just went unnoticed because it was a bit hidden) on the two older
incubating projects (deegree, gvSIG) which is good. MetaCRS [1] and GEOS
[2] seems to be alive although I cannot see that much progress on
incubation. Especially with MetaCRS I am unsure on how progress will be
trackable at all because it is a meta project, maybe the Incubation
Process does not address this complex type well yet. Any thoughts?

>From what I can tell the OSGeo Incubation is an ongoing success,
especially looking at the queue [3] and more interest building up
(GeoServer wants to go for it) [4].

To move on we should start PostGIS incubation next but that will be
separate mail (I have to dig up what formal things need get done,
whether board vote is required etc.).

Best regards,
Arnulf.

[1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/metacrs/2009-April/000253.html
[2] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/geos-devel/2009-May/thread.html
[3]
http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&component=Incubator&keywords=~application&order=priority
[4]
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=4A4A2217.5050602%40opengeo.org&forum_name=geoserver-devel

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) schrieb:
> Hello,
> there has been very little or no visible progress at all in some
> incubating projects. I have informally talked to project leads and know
> that some work has been done. Please remember that Incubation should
> *not* happen "behind the scenes", let people know that you are working
> on it. Hack your Wiki pages and show what you have done and whether and
> where you are stuck. This list is here to help you if you are stuck.
>
> We will revisit all incubating projects in three weeks from now and if
> there is no progress either on this list or in the Wiki we might need to
> start thinking about how to remove projects from incubation so that we
> can proceed with more responsive projects.
>
> If you have specific questions that you do not want to discuss in public
> please talk to your mentor or ask someone from the incubation committee
> that you trust.
>
> Best regards,
> Arnulf.
>
> --