[Incubator] New Application for Incubation: PostGIS

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) arnulf at osgeo.org
Tue Jul 14 08:34:40 EDT 2009

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) schrieb:
> Arnulf Christl wrote:
>> I will happily apply to mentor PostGIS.
>
> Those of us who keep answering the question "Is PostGIS part of OSGeo"
> need to know if we can start saying yes :-)  What's the next incubation
> step we should watch for?
>
> Best wishes,
> Tyler

Thanks for the nudge... I had to dig up the process, here goes:

As per Incubation Process [1] § 3:

"For Projects that meet the Project Evaluation Criteria, an Incubation
Mentor is chosen. Incubation Mentors are selected based on willingness
to act as a Mentor for a particular Project. If no Mentor is chosen, the
Project is placed on hold until a Mentor can be found. It is acceptable
(and desireable) for a Project to recruit a Mentor for itself as part of
the Project Submission Process."

This has happened; Paul Ramsey as chair of PostGIS has asked on the list
and Arnulf Christl has volunteered to be mentor.

Now the Incubation committee should meet and vote to accept PostGIS into
Incubation. I guess this can be done via Mail, I will send out a motion
separately.

After voting the Incubation Committee proposes PostGIS for incubation to
the Board of Directors, who vote to accept PostGIS at the next board
meeting. This is it and off we go.

Best regards,
Arnulf

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Incubation_Process#Process