[Incubator] labs project assigning copyright

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Mon Jun 8 11:37:11 EDT 2009

Hey-

Thanks for the responses.  A summary of my understanding:

Area of Agreement
-----------------

A project with a geospatial focus and an open source license may assign
copyright to OSGeo by collecting copyright assignment agreements from
all contributors.  These signed agreements must be delivered to the
OSGeo Secretary.

Details Left to be Determined
-----------------------------

The incubation committee might be involved in determining if a project
meets OSGeo criteria (geospatial + open source).  The signed agreement
documents might be stored in a digital repository.

Unless I'm mistaken, it looks like GeoExt can assign copyright to OSGeo.
  I have collected signed agreements from all contributors to the code
base.  We are starting the process for an initial release this week, and
I'll change the copyright statements in the code based on the assumption
that the assignment is acceptable to OSGeo.

Tyler, I'll be happy to provide the agreements in whatever form works
for you.  If there is anything else we should do before making the
copyright change (or if this is not acceptable), please let me know.

Thanks,
Tim

--
Tim Schaub