[Incubator] OSSIM Incubation Status

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Mar 4 11:02:41 EST 2009

Richard Gould wrote:
> If I recall correctly, the only possible issue that was brought up
> when OSSIM was recommended for graduation was some confusion of source
> code headers. I recall there was some intention to resolve this, but I
> have not been keeping up with mentor duties nor following the project,
> so I do not know whether this was resolved or not. Unfortunately at
> this moment I do not have the time to look into or assist in this
> matter. Perhaps somebody else would be kind enough to volunteer?
>
> The email I refer to is here:
>
> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/incubator/2008-March/000915.html
>
> There were some follow ups, but it seems that they were not captured
> in the archives.

Mark,

I have the same question.  A single examination of ossimPlanetQtMainWindow
indicates there is still no in-file license header in trunk.  It is possible
some of my questions were responded to at the time, but unfortunately I can't
find any record of it.  Perhaps I'm missing it.

I'd add the last part of my questions at:

   http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/incubator/2008-March/000910.html

related to governance, and I don't know if that was addressed.

"""
The other point I'd like to raise is where does the PSC discuss
decisions that need to be made?  I'm on the ossim-developer list
and I don't recall ever seeing anything that looked like a PSC
discussion though I only lightly skim the list.  The governance
document is ... brief ... which is ok I suppose, but I am still
looking for a sense that the governance structure is operating
rather than just notional.
"""

I'm personally very comfortable that the mailing lists are active,
that there is a significant user community and things are generally
functioning well.  But I'm still feeling governance - how decisions
are made - is opaque, and I don't recall any decisions made as a
community though I must confess I'm not following things closely.