[Incubator] Re: OSGeo Incubator Project Proposal - OSM Distributed Tile Update System

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Nov 5 14:35:37 EST 2009

Randall Guensler wrote:
> We have attached an OSGeo incubator project proposal designed to support
> more widespread deployment of OpenStreetMap.  We have forwarded a copy
> of the proposal to Jon Burgess and Peter Miller, who we believe are
> associated with OSM and that might also be interested in reviewing this
> incubator proposal.  We have also forwarded a copy to the mailing list
> for the OSM Foundation Officers and Board.  Please provide contact
> information for any other OSM representatives that you would like us to
> contact.  Thank you.

Randall,

I have entered your request for project incubation in the OSGeo Incubator
trac system:

   http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/502

currently just referencing your .doc file which I have stored on my own
server for the time being.

   http://home.gdal.org/tmp/ProposalMemoToOSGeoOnTileProposal110609.doc

My understanding is that the project is still in a fairly preliminary
stage.  Generally speaking OSGeo incubation is designed for fairly mature
projects with a significant community of users and developers already in
place.  As such I do not believe your project is a likely candidate
for incubation.

However, the project does seem very worthwhile and will be of interest
to many people involved in OSGeo.  Incubation aside, I hope we can establish
ways of contributing and participating in your project.

To that end I am also cc:ing our board of directors.  Furthermore I would
encourage you to join the OSGeo discuss mailing list and summarize your plans
there for broader distribution.

Your project also brings to mind a flurry of recent discussion around
renewing the Open Aerial Map and a federated approach to tile server
caching.  You might want to skim the material the material at:

   http://openaerialmap.org/Technical_Proposal