[Incubator] quality and officers

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) arnulf at osgeo.org
Mon Nov 23 12:03:53 EST 2009

Jody Garnett wrote:
> I have been having some interesting conversations at GeoLibre -
> including one around the branding of OSGeo projects as an indication
> of quality. As far as I can tell we have no specific quality
> requirement - we tend to expect a strong user base to hold a
> project's feet to the fire with respect to quality.

Hi,
the definition of quality from a user perspective is a lot broader what
I suspect you are aiming at here. One important indicator of an Open
Source project's quality is that it is licensed correctly (which is part
of the OSGeo Incubation Process), another one is the project's community
health, another one is documented and transparent governance, etc. All
issues that we do address and which make up the OSGeo High Quality
brand. Having said this I am very interested in also looking into more
technology focused issues of quality. And would like to support the
formation of a new committee (as it seems that IncCom does not feel like
taking on this job -  although - won't it be the same folks spending
time on this over again anyway... :-)

Regards,

> This conversation was a reminder that we should look at increasing
> our scope; or setting up a new committee; interact with existing
> projects (assuming the board is not already on this task?).
>
> I was also tasked with introducing the osgeo organisation; and drew a
> blank when going through the osgeo "officers" - it seems that many of
> these officers have a portfolio confined to a single project? How
> does this work? Does it replace the need for a steering committee
> representative?

> list Incubator at lists.osgeo.org

Arnulf Christl
President OSGeo