[Incubator] MapFish Incubation application - reactivation

Claude Philipona claude.philipona at camptocamp.com
Tue Oct 27 08:15:34 EDT 2009

Hello,

My last night in Australia, I won't be too wordy.

There are for sure some overlap in terms of the client-side features,
but it is globally quite different.

As far as I know here are some differences:
- MapFish is a pylons-based framework which relies on OSGeo software
such as OpenLayers, GeoExt, ... (MapFish was actually a the root of
GeoExt) and is agnostic from a particular mapping server. GeoMajas
seems to be a fully independent stack not based on OSGeo or components
from communities.

- It's always hard to define what is framework, but from my point of
view, GeoMajas is more a webmapping application builder, than a
development framework giving total freedom to the develop any advanced
web mapping application.

On the MapFish side, of course there are no barrier to share works
that can meet the needs form several parties. MapFish already achieved
such sharing with GeoExt, which emerged from MapFish last year after
the FOSS4G BoF with different persons and organizations such as
OpenGeo. MapFish first development started actually in 2006, after
FOSS4G Lausanne. That was the first try to make a rewrite of CartoWeb
with a more uptodate technology. Since then, it has been a constant
goal to use, share, enhanced Open Source components. That was for
example the case with OpenLayers.

Claude