[Incubator] longer term approaches to an OSGeo Stack - [was: MapFish Incubation application - reactivation] [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bruce Bannerman B.Bannerman at bom.gov.au
Tue Oct 27 20:19:10 EDT 2009

Jody,

IMO, the two ideals are not mutually exclusive.

It is possible to encourage a quality set of recognised and well integrated OSGeo applications and still allow for diversity of approaches.

There will always be better ways of approaching a problem, and projects will naturally form to explore those concepts. In time these new projects may replace what is currently state of the art. This needs to be allowed for, or OSGeo will stagnate.

I'm thinking longer term, say five years down the track.

Is it time to sit back and think about what we want longer term in an OSGeo Stack, or do we just leave it to natural evolution and hope that we get a coordinated stack in the end?

Bruce