[Incubator] Infrastructure Questions

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 08:19:55 EST 2011

> I do not feel strongly about renaming the section or not, but it seems
> to make sense that if a project is already happily hosting its
> infrastructure elsewhere then they should be allowed to do so as long as
> the system that is used is open and not controlled by a single
> organization that could decide to lock out all project members if they
> were bought by an evil entity for instance.

Thus far all the projects that have stayed with their hosting, email list, or website have been making use of other open source hosting facilities ( sourceforge, github etc...).

You raise an interesting point however; let me try for some wording on that.

BEFORE

Infrastructure Transition
Note, for each of the following it isn't necessary to move to foundation infrastructure, but if you aren't a reason should be provided.

AFTER

Infrastructure
This section is used to list where your project is currently located (example SourceForge, github, private svn, etc..). The incubation committee expects projects to be hosted in a vendor neutral manner. If you are interested in transition to OSGeo Foundation hosting this section is used to collect the specifics for the SAC committee.

> For this reason, my personal opinion is that if a project is hosted
> outside of OSGeo servers, then measures should be taken to ensure that
> in case of problems OSGeo and its community always has access to a
> recent copy of all source code archives, bug tracker db, forum/list
> archives, website, etc, including history where applicable,

Interesting; not sure if this has come up previously.
> A way to handle this could possibly be to setup a daily rsync/backup
> from the hosted services to an OSGeo backup server. Would this be asking
> too much of projects?

I think it would be asking too much of SAC :-) I don't see the need to try and keep up with source forge or github; as long as a release of the source code is available we should be able to pick up a project that suffered an infrastructure failure.