[Incubator] Follow Up on PyCSW Application: Community Requirements?

Landon Blake sunburned.surveyor at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 09:43:59 PST 2012

I wanted to follow up on the PyCSW application for incubation. I
believe I can summarize the current situation in this way:

1) PyCSW has applied for incubation.
2) They have a willing mentor.
3) They are waiting for a response from our committee on concerns
about their level of community involvement.

We need to get back to the project team with a decision on their
incubation application. If we feel the project isn't ready for
incubation because they lack an active community, we should make that
clear to them. If this is our decision, we should also:

1) Make our criteria for evidence of an active community clear, so the
project can set some goal posts.
2) Invite the project to contact us with regular updates on their
progress towards these goals.

If, on the other hand, we feel that communnity building is something
they can do DURING incubation, we should accept their application and
address this concern with their mentor so he can work with the project
team to address it before incubation graduation.

Either way, I think we owe the pycsw project team a decision soon.

Landon