[Incubator] [Projects] OGC products list

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 14:57:51 PDT 2014

Jeff, Jody,
I agree that there is value in OSGeo projects being listed in the OGC
portal, and that we should work out what OGC and OSGeo consider as a
requirement for listing a project.

Looking at: http://www.opengeospatial.org/resource/products/registration
It seems that any application can be registered, free of charge? To get
to the next level of "certified" or "reference implementation" might
cost more.
Luis, are you able to explain this further, or point at a URL which
explains costs?

I agree with Jeff that we at OSGeo should work out a process for
registering compliant products with the OGC. I suggest that this should
become part of the OSGeo Incubation process, which in turn should be
referenced from the OSGeo-Live processes.

Jeff,
I notice that MapCache (which I understand is associated with MapServer)
has been registered separately with OGC, but MapCache is not referenced
as one of our OSGeo projects at: http://osgeo.org . I suggest that we
should do something about that.

We should be working out what criteria projects require before they can
be listed under an OSGeo banner on OGC compliant products page. Only
graduated projects? Graduated and Incubating projects? Any project
listed on OSGeo-Live? Any project which has self registered to be part
of OSGeo Labs? Any Open Source project with some geospatial functionality?
I'd like to hear OGC's thoughts on this. Does the OGC have any quality
requirements for listing applications?