[Incubator] checking over gvSig provenance review

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 00:13:39 PDT 2015

Going to share my notes, in case anyone else is reviewing this week.

*As mentioned in my first impression the provenance review
<http://docs.gvsig.org/plone/projects/gvsig-desktop/docs/devel/gvsig-devel-guide/2-1-0/provenance-review>
is
clear to follow and extensive in nature.*

*Our goal with this review is to give the gvSig project team a chance to
confirm publicly that their code is open source (and importantly that they
have checked where it came from). Making this document public gives
interested parties considering use of gvSig a cache fact check.*

*We ask for this during incubation so we can make a solid recommendation to
the board. This review checks "all the code prior to being an osgeo
project", the projects policies (whatever they may be) are responsible for
checking code subsequent to becoming an OSGeo project :)*

My strategy is to perform a few spot checks, both to see what the team was
looking at, and to check if there are any areas of the codebase they
skipped over by accident.

1. headers of source code files

Contributors seem to be well managed. A bit surprised they did not find
anything here (would be one of the first projects to not miss a header).

2. source code from external projects

ShapeFileheader2.java
<http://devel.gvsig.org/sites/org.gvsig.fmap.dal.file/2.0-SNAPSHOT/gvsig-base-library-pom/org.gvsig.fmap.dal.file/xref/org/gvsig/fmap/dal/store/shp/utils/ShapeFileHeader2.html>
- Was able to hunt down the project (from 2003) and confirm header was
correctly reproduced in gvSig codebase.

Curve
<https://redmine.gvsig.net/redmine/projects/gvsig-external-jdk/repository/entry/org.gvsig.jdk/trunk/org.gvsig.jdk/org.gvsig.jdk.v1_6/src/main/java/org/gvsig/jdk/sun/awt/geom/Curve.java>
- I very rarely see JDK code duplicated, but GPL v2 allows it

3. libraries

Team is sourcing these externally (rather than building and distributing on
their own).

Since gvSig is GPL it is very hard to get stuck here (only a few licenses
such as EPL have trouble working with a GPL application).