[Incubator] Recommend pycsw Graduation

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 11:33:49 PST 2015

Hi Jody,

Thanks for your support.

Some answers inline:

On 02/18/2015 12:50 AM, Jody Garnett wrote:
> Thanks Jeff and the pycsw team.
>
> Going to respond once with review / feedback, and a few questions as I am
> curious.
>
> Open:
> - Great to see IRC channel in use - I had a chance to drop by while
> reviewing

Happy to see you online :)
> - While RFC-1 is clear I could not quite figure out how to find this from
> the website (I looked under communist ... okay found it under development).
> - Q: pycsw is another example of a project that adopted a steering
> committee over the course of incubation. As chair I am concerned with
> projects doing "extra" work for incubation, rather than quickly documenting
> how they currently operate. Are you finding the steering committee /
> request for comment workflow useful now that you have used it a couple of
> times?

The process has a time overhead to put together the RFC document, but it
is helpful to understand the problem we are solving :)

> - release procedure (
> https://github.com/geopython/pycsw/wiki/Release-Packaging is having some
> wiki format trouble)

We have been using this step-by-step document for many releases. Perhaps
I am used to reading it and I cannot see the format issue.

> - you really nail the long term viability items :) Looks great!

Thanks!

> Copyright and License
> - You may want to quote the doc license rather than just link to it (
> https://github.com/geopython/pycsw/blob/master/docs/license.rst)

Done.

> - Provenance Review
>
> I saw you rewrote rather then reuse some code from GeoNode. In the future
> you can always ask a project team to reuse small bits of code like this (a
> project team may have flexibility to act depending on how they have managed
> their code contributions).

We didn't even ask, we just replaced that code part. Perhaps we can
revisit in the future.

> For the #306 Code includes OGC schemas - just including a README in the
> source code, and a note in your docs should be fine. This is similar to how
> GeoTools makes a note
> <http://docs.geotools.org/latest/userguide/welcome/license.html> of the
> occasional Apache License code in our user guide. The idea is to list what
> licenses are used where users can see them (as long as they are all
> compatible).

We have included the OGC software license under the schemas folder.
Our README does not include licensing information, we have a LICENSE.txt
file.

> As mentioned earlier I am happy for pycsw to graduate with known issues,
> especially if they are issue that OSGeo can help with or can assist in fund
> raising for. Incubation is about capturing the unknown issues and getting
> them into your issue tracker.
>
> - good discussion on the issue with distribution of OGC Schemas, you
> already did my advice of providing a README.txt
> <https://github.com/geopython/pycsw/blob/master/pycsw/schemas/ogc/README.txt>
> for
> potential contributors to see what is going on.
> - Nice approach for collecting contributor agreements. Only gap I see is
> for employees or contractors - perhaps they can say who they are
> representing: "Hi all, I'd like to contribute a suggestion to pycsw on
> behalf of Boundless. I confirm that my contributions to pycsw will be
> compatible with the pycsw license guidelines at the time of contribution.
> -- Jody Garnett"

OK, we can adapt the template.

> Process
> - really happy to see your Contributing.RST
> <https://github.com/geopython/pycsw/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.rst> file
> (really needs to be a "must be this tall to ride" sign for open source
> projects on GitHub)
> - Technically CITE is integration testing (not manual testing) :)
>
> +1

> On 13 February 2015 at 14:22, Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com>
> wrote:

Best,
Angelos

>> Hello Incubation Committee,
>>
>> I am writing to you as the Mentor of the pycsw project, which is currently
>> in the Incubation process with OSGeo.
>>
>> I'd like to submit a Project Graduation Checklist document, for review by
>> the OSGeo Incubation Committee: https://github.com/geopython/
>> pycsw/wiki/Project-Graduation-Checklist
>>
>> You will notice in the document that a code provenance review has been
>> completed as well: https://github.com/geopython/
>> pycsw/wiki/pycsw-Provenance-Review
>>
>> I have been watching this community grow over the years (I have a good
>> sense of what makes a strong community), and I am very impressed with both
>> how active the code is being maintained, and also the fast growth of
>> implementations of pycsw by large organizations. I also monitor its mailing
>> list, which I do for hundreds of software projects, and it is very vibrant
>> (always an important sign of an active community).  Lastly, that pycsw is
>> the OGC reference implementation for the CSW standard, is proof of the
>> attention to detail and commitment by the pycsw team.
>>
>> I'd also like to mention that, the pycsw team is very keen and excited to
>> become an official OSGeo project, which cannot be put down on paper or
>> measured, but it is one of the most important parts of the process I
>> believe.
>>
>> Therefore as mentor, I recommend to the Incubation Committee that pycsw
>> graduates, and becomes an official OSGeo Project.
>>
>> Let me know if you have any questions and I can relay to the pycsw team.
>> Thanks everyone,
>>
>> -jeff
>>

>> --
>> pycsw mentor