[Incubator] Oskari Incubation status

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 10:02:21 PDT 2018

Arnulf, to answer your question at the bottom, yes I read to the bottom,
and really appreciate your detailed assessment.

Based on Arnulf's assessment, it sounds like Sskari probably has a good
codebase, with good work from within one organisation, but is yet to
attract engaged external developers. This is a great milestone, and
worth acknowledging. But the "unicorn" projects that we look for in
OSGeo incubation are those with a healthy community from multiple
organisations.

The "extent of collaboration" criteria provides validation of the
quality of the project, and is a very good indicator of long term
sustainability.

To the Oskari folks, you might want to read this presentation I gave a
while back on business justifications for backing collaboration:
http://cameronshorter.blogspot.com/2017/11/open-source-pitch-for-your-boss.html

Without digging into the details any further, I suspect Oskari would
need to work on attracting co-contributors, from multiple organisations,
and we would likely see evidence of this happening by seeing archive
logs of collaborative email lists, or slack or IRC or similar.

Warm regards, Cameron

On 6/7/18 2:11 am, Arnulf Christl (Metaspatial) wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> this is an update on the Incubation process of Oskari.
>
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Oskari_Incubation_Status
>
> As mentor I am still somewhat hesitant to recommend Oskari for OSGeo
> Incubation because I cannot find a good indicator supporting that
> there is an open community and communication. Personally I know some
> of the current core team and totally trust them to work in the Open
> Source way of doing things. But this may not be quite apparent to
> anybody not into the project.
>
> Oskari is doing a good job posting news and updates to the OSGeo user
> list (https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/oskari-user/) but the list is
> not really used by users for any kind of discussion, help or future
> development. It feels more like a low volume announce list (which is
> totally OK, so please keep it up).
>
> How and where is the development being discussed? Who can join the
> Oskari Slack channel - or whatever else is used to have technical and
> strategic discussions? Are there archives of discussions and
> decisions? Do you manage to do this in English or is it still
> everything communicated in Finnish?
>
> In a PSC presentation from December 2016 one bullet-point says that
> Oskari may become a project on OSGeo live:
> https://oskariorg.github.io/files/20161220-Oskari_OSGEO_PSC.pdf.
> <https://oskariorg.github.io/files/20161220-Oskari_OSGEO_PSC.pdf>
>
> Actually, Incubation is not a requirement, so please feel free to
> approach the OSGeo Live team to find out more.
>
> In the Roadmap document (which in my opinion is actually ery good) at:
> https://github.com/oskariorg/oskari-docs/wiki/Roadmap-process you say
> that:
>
> /"After communicating with Oskari community the roadmap items enter
> Active stage [...]". /
>
> Can you give us an example of where and how this has happened?
>
> There are some updates on GitHub issues but it appears to be mostly
> internal team members (which is totally OK, is this where the
> collaborative aspect of the future development takes place?
>
> https://github.com/oskariorg/oskari-docs/labels/roadmap
>
> Regarding Code Copyright Review you state that:
>
> /All code has been developed by the registered developers listed on
> github who have signed the CLA. All external libraries have project
> compatible licenses. The project has been started as a regular Open
> Source project following the guidelines as set out by OSGeo. A
> file-per-file code review was therefore deemed superfluous. /
>
> As mentor I can confirm that this is correct and satisfies OSGeo's
> requirements (and yes, I did some quick checks on random code files
> but due to the well organized origin of the project did not go through
> all code like we had to in the GRASS project... :-).
>
> In the last PSC meeting in December 2017 a decision was taken to
> schedule the next meeting "as needed".
>

>     /Meetings/activity/
>
> //
>
>   * /[...]/
> [...]